Career Change at Mid-Life

When I turned 40, I took stock of my life and asked: “what have I not done during the first half of my life?” I have a relatively happy family life, with a dutiful husband and three healthy sons, but since I was not able to finish college, I dabbled into freelance selling.

But since my family had to permanently move to the province, I lost all my clients. But life in the province is easier and much more slow- paced. The children were in school most of the day, the husband goes to work, and I was mostly left alone, just waiting for them to come home. So, I decided to make the most of the spare time presented to me and went back to school. At 46, I finally earned my degree as Secondary School Teacher. I then pursued graduate studies, and became a college instructor.

My sister has the same story. After years of running a business, she decided to go abroad.  So, at age 48, she went to the US, worked, and has been there for almost 10 years now.

For most Filipinos, changing careers at middle age is not easy. One of the identified factors for this is the youth oriented nature of Philippine society. Job opportunities are mostly open for people in their 20s and early 30s. People in their 40s, except those who are in management positions, usually find it hard to find employment or to engage in a different economic activity. Truth is, it is indeed rather difficult.

However, with sheer grit and determination, it can happen. Here are some tips that can help:

1. Focus on your goal. When I was attending college at 44, the greatest obstacle I had to hurdle was the negative regard of some young classmates who, without bothering to know me, tended to make judgments on why I have not finished college. I took this criticism with a grain of salt and balanced them with the positive vibes of other classmates who looked up to me as their big sister.

2. Take stock of your strengths and weaknesses. Reinforce the strengths and rectify the weaknesses. It is never too late to change. One of the reasons why I was not able to finish college early on, was that I was very impatient with some instructors who tend to mumble inane things just to pass the time. It turned me off so much that I would drop the subject. The second time, I learned to bring some writing tasks so that I will be able to last the class without walking out.

3. Be courageous. Do not be afraid of confronting people who think you are going out of your mind by changing courses so late in life. Instead, look for support from your family and friends who will encourage you to go on and achieve what you want to do. More often than not, they will be the ones who will provide you with the opportunity to make your goal happen.

4. And lastly, trust yourself. Once you have set your goal, let nothing stop you from pursuing it. Remember, you are the captain of your ship.

Leave a Reply

Popular Articles